22 Apr Best 3 Tips for Starting a Kitchen Remodel During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Spring and summer months are usually the busiest for builders and renovation contractors. But the COVID-19 pandemic has put many things at a halt – including most large-scale construction work. And if you’ve been planning to renovate your kitchen this year, you’re probably wondering how to get the project off to a productive start.
If you search online for “kitchen remodel near me” ideas, one of the biggest challenges is knowing whether home remodeling is categorized as essential or not. Essential businesses are still allowed to operate, hence providing some flexibility despite the highly encouraged “physical distancing” rule.
What a Contractor for a Kitchen Remodel Can and Can’t do Amidst the Pandemic
Builders, contractors, and construction professionals are still operational despite the massive lockdowns in most areas across the country. Depending on where you’re located, you might want to verify if kitchen remodeling companies are willing to accept work. Bear in mind, however, of these possible limitations.
- Contractors have a limited workforce. Businesses prioritize the health and safety of their employees. While a contractor may be able to start working on a renovation project, you might encounter heavy delays because workers can’t be in a crowded site at one time. Some skilled workers may also be considered at risk. Hence, the added difficulty of finding a replacement.
- Expect postponement and project schedule modification. If you choose to start the project now while lockdowns are still in place, be read to postpone and change your expectations on project timelines. If you’re thinking about putting your house on the market after the renovation, you might want to rethink your options and consider holding off on this plan.
- Struggle with sourcing materials. In addition to the difficulty of finding workers, your contractor may also experience problems in the availability of materials. Suppliers might be unavailable or having trouble with logistics, thus delaying the delivery of orders.
Renovation contractors are already feeling the negative impact of the pandemic in conducting business. But, they are willing to adapt and do what they can despite the limitations. And since you have more time on your hands, there’s also a few things you can do to kick start the project while waiting for things to get back to normal.
What Can You Do if There are No Available Contractors for Your Kitchen Remodel?
Before construction can go full swing, the following are some of the things you can do:
- Finalize kitchen remodeling ideas. You can contact an interior designer and consult via video call or chat.
- Compare quotes from contractors. You can also start comparing quotes from companies coming from your “kitchen remodel near me” search so that you can find a reputable contractor and book an appointment.
- Start some of the easy work. You can also take this opportunity to do some of the work that you can manage. For instance, you can start by removing wallpaper, detaching cabinetry, and cleaning out clutter. Choosing to be productive amidst the pandemic will not only help save time. It will also reduce your total expense for the project.
Related Content: The Beginner’s Guide to Working with Kitchen Remodeling Companies
Taking the initiative to search for “kitchen remodel near me” suggestions is a great way to start. Then you can start in small, incremental steps until you realize that things are becoming better as you see your newly-remodeled kitchen come into reality. At Building Pros, we recognize the current situation, and we do our best to make adjustments for your convenience. Learn more about our free in-home design consultations here.